Monday, June 29, 2009

The Church/Adam Franklin - State Theatre - June 28 2009


Adam Franklin - I saw a good review of Franklin (singer from Swervedriver, one of those big bands in the UK that don't necessarily translate to the US... Stone Roses, Primal Scream, etc.) in Jack Rabid's Big Takeover Magazine (essential reading for you uninitiated out there). The CD of Franklin was excellent as was this live set. He plays good straight rock music with a psyche-shoegaze vibe ever present. Tasty guitar interplay, good songs--nary a wrong note to be found in his set. And he plays a nice really beat up Fender. Check him/them out when they come to a town near you!

The Church - This Australian band drew a good crowd tonight and seemed to deliver the lush pop rock the masses wanted. I found them a little bit samey with something vacillating between college rock and mainstream rock. Not at all bad, just not enough for me to really sink my teeth in. But if you want some good catchy songs and you lean a bit toward the mainstream, do check out the Church.

Quote of the Night - A guy telling the merch. stand attendant... "The last time I was here, I was watching a movie... mid seventies... I think it was The Cat from Outer Space".

No comments: