Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Donkeys - Time is Fire -- DC9 - May 5 2015

Time is Fire - Since I just reviewed this band nine days ago, I will do a quick comparison. There is a better sound system with a sound person here, so the guitar was more balanced and everything seemed in sync, not that there were any real problems previously. But it was noticeable. They really locked into a groove and their energy got a quiet crowd suitably revved up and even dancing. That is always a good sign in DC and they did with their worldly and song oriented sound as opposed to 'dance by numbers' moves. Good to see this relatively new band gigging around town in different venues as they have all the tools to build a nice audience around them, one that will go home happy.
Donkeys - It's amazing how so many southern California bands have some of that special local flavor in their sound. I was not even sure where this band was from as I was thinking Laurel Canyon meets the Doors. Sure enough, the roots are there, but to the band's credit they don't dwell on them much or go on a safe Americana route. They focus on good pop songs, which they can stretch out into some cool jams or brighten up with short rock bursts. They all sing, although the drummer takes much of the lead vocal work. Harmonies are also subtle and no individual part takes much attention to the song at hand. That makes them a subtle success story as everything is likable and quite well done as you think about it more. 

Quote of the Night: This from Irish football star player and now manager discussing music habits of players he was managing at Sunderland...


'It might seem strange but you find out about characters when you look to see who's in charge of the music,' Keane continues.
'A young lad might want to put on the latest sound; an older player might say: 'I'm the senior player' and put himself in charge. But I noticed none of the (Sunderland) players were in charge of the music and this was a concern for me.
'A member of staff was in charge. I was looking at him thinking: 'I hope someone nails him here.' The last song before the players went on to the pitch was 'Dancing Queen' by Abba.
'What really worried me was that none of the players - not one - said: 'Get that s**t off.' They were going out to play a match, men versus men, testosterone levels were high.
'You've got to hit people at pace. F**kin' 'Dancing Queen.' It worried me. I didn't have as many leaders as I thought.

No comments: