Saturday, July 28, 2012

Kwame Darko - DZD - Marco -- Rock'n'Roll Hotel - Jul 27 2012

Marco - A sizable Friday night crowd is here to greet this five-piece ensemble. I believe the acoustic guitarist/lead vocalist is Marco, who assisted by a female back-up singer, bass, drums, and keys. He also plays three solo songs with his band watching. These acoustic numbers may have been interesting, but the loud Friday night audience was severely limiting what made it to my ear. The songs are mostly mainstream pop and simple singer songwriter styled music. It is not bad for what it is, but I really don't listen to this much, so I don't have a whole lot to compare it to. If anyone wants the grouchy old guy commentary, send me an email, as I was wondering why I didn't double dip tonight and start at the Red Palace. At least the last number did show a little promise with its nice hook as it finished off this 26 minute set.















DZD - Stiff Little Fingers have a song called Roots, Radicals, Rockers, and Reggae. This local band covers three of those bases quite well. There is nothing at all radical about their sound as it is extremely comforting Friday night party music. But I did like the rock and reggae combination with nice searing guitar solos and a lot of energy in the rhythms and singing. These guys have a fiery fun-filled personality and it translates very well to a surprisingly crowded room (about as many as last night's powerful show here at this club). There are two vocalists who work well together and all the instrumentalists are nicely locked in. These guys clearly have the energy and skill to put on a great weekend show with an audience looking to cut loose. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to develop their personalities in the music and grab hold of a rabid core audience. It just might happen.

Kwame Darko - I could not last this evening, so I missed this rapper. I really need an intern to help with my schedule.

Quote of the Night: From Dennis the sound man after the first set... "Quite a contrast from last night, huh?" Quite, earplugs gathering dust tonight.

No comments: